London club The Cause hosted a fundraiser called Rave Safe for drug safety and harm reduction charity NGO The Loop on Sunday, August 15th.
The event follows the death of a 21-year-old The Cause attendee identified only as Bill on July 31st. He fell sick and was taken to the hospital, and he later died due to a suspected drug overdose.
The parents of the deceased have launched a fundraiser in his memory to ”build a legacy for Bill by developing ideas alongside Bill’s friends and the music institute he was studying at, BIMM [Institute London] (whose aim is to help young people find their place in the industry).”
A statement on the official The Cause Facebook page reads, “Following the tragic events that occurred on Saturday, July 31st, where we lost a young soul after attending a party with us the night before and being rushed to hospital, it is suspected that the cause of death is a drugs overdose. Sadly tragedies like these have struck venues across the U.K. since we have all been allowed to reopen.“
“Incidents like these should have no place in our nightlife and we want to help educate and raise awareness as much as possible,” it goes on. “We, therefore, close our first weekend back with a large fundraiser for the drugs awareness and harm reduction organization The Loop, so together we can help push the mission to educate on the dangers and risks of the personal choice drug-taking can have.“
The Cause is an events space based in London. Their goal is to support dance culture, local nightlife, independent businesses and positive mental health.